Sanitation efforts involve maintaining clean areas where food is stored and keeping containers tightly sealed. Inside your home, this is an excellent start to your rodent control efforts.
Rodents must have adequate food and shelter in order to live and thrive. Removal of these 2 factors is the best way to prevent and control rodent problems. It is important to include both the outside and inside of your home in your sanitation efforts.
- Clean areas under stoves, refrigerators and dishwashers.
- Keep counter tops clear of food.
- Do not leave glasses of water out overnight.
- Store dry food, pet food and birdseed in sealed containers.
- Clean pet bowls at night.
- Keep storage areas free of clutter.
- Rodent-proof hard-to-access areas that tend to be neglected.
- Store supplies or materials off the floor.
Don’t forget about maintaining the outdoors as well. Properly maintain your garden and store firewood away from your home for effective rodent control.
- Properly maintain landscaping – trim any overgrown vegetation and shrubbery until ground underneath is visible.
- Remove any debris – rock piles, old equipment etc.
- Elevate lumber and firewood at least 18″.
- Store firewood away from the house.